In which I take a photo every day that I'm 50, and post it here on this blog, with a bit of related blurb.

Saturday 5 July 2014

Day 203 - Bridge Over Troubled Water

ease your mind

Lovely day out in the Peak District today where, amongst other things, we came across this lovely little bridge at the head of the Burbage Valley.

We set off from home in rain, but hoping that the forecast of clearing skies would be correct...as we neared the Peak, it looked dubious for a while, but as we arrived and parked up the sun was shining, and that set the tone for the day.

The valley was looking vibrant in the sunshine, with the bracken tall, green and lush.


beautiful burbage

We mostly just bouldered along the bottom of the crag, even though I was carrying full rack and rope all the way...both Anna and I had a couple of good successes, which I won't bore you with...except I will post this photo of Anna to prove we were there, and climbing:


Anna standing on nothing

On the way back, we encountered this fine, furry fellow:


dougal?

He's an Oak Eggar caterpillar, and will be a large moth once he metamorphoses...

Here's a full profile:


not dougal

He's a interesting little chap, and one of the most interesting things about him is his size...you don't think he looks so big?  

Check this out:


finger size

He's more or less the length and thickness of Anna's forefinger!

Funnily enough, the last time we came across one of these was when we were climbing on the Pembrokeshire coast last summer...do they like the rock too?

I think they'll climb better than me...insects always do, thanks to their tiny size.

When I was climbing the steep slab that Anna is on above (coincidentally known as Tiny Slab), precariously balanced on the tips of my toes and no hand holds, struggling (and completely failing) to get any upward motion, I noticed a tiny ant a few inches in front of my face, casually and effortlessly jogging up the wall...

I don't think he was mocking me, but he could quite reasonably have been...

B-/

No comments:

Post a Comment