In which I take a photo every day that I'm 50, and post it here on this blog, with a bit of related blurb.

Sunday 26 October 2014

Day 316 - New Neighbours

partial obscurity

To our surprise, as we left to take Robin for a walk this afternoon, we discovered new neighbours had moved in since we took Robin for a walk this morning!

Parked up on the verge just outside our gate, there has appeared a traditional Gypsy caravan, complete with two large workhouses tethered a little further down the lane.  

I tried to take a photo from out in the road, but didn't want to be rude and obvious about it - so I took this one from the bedroom window, from where you can just about make out the back of the caravan.

Romany?

For years they've passed by this way now and then, and I've seen them camped in Gaydon, or further along the road to Warwick, but they've never stopped here before. 

I find myself fairly conflicted about the situation.  

My initial response is "OMG, what are they doing, they can't stay there!", and concerns about security flit worryingly across my mind...

But then I realise that they have to be somewhere...and I don't want to thoughtlessly accept a knee-jerk, conditioned response, and make all sorts of stereotypical assumptions about who they are and what they're up to. 

I actually admire their refusal to conform to society, and very much respect their right to live as they choose...and I have no direct experience of them, so I choose to assume that they'll cause no harm, and will no doubt move along in a day or two...   

When we got over to the orchard, three buzzards were hanging in the breeze above the woods.  I got my phone out to try to catch them all in one shot, but even as I was fumbling with settings, they wheeled away.

how many buzzards?

By the time I got to take a shot, one had disappeared over the trees, and the two remaining seemed somehow further away.

There are two buzzards in this shot, I promise...you just need to really want to see them!

;-)

1 comment:

  1. They'll probably need planning permission for the workhouses. :)

    ReplyDelete