In which I take a photo every day that I'm 50, and post it here on this blog, with a bit of related blurb.

Tuesday 27 May 2014

Day 164 - Hit It!

this came in a box

My quest to corner the world's cardboard supplies via a cunning strategy of buying everything on the internet continues unabated today.

Here for your delectation and delight is my latest new toy...no, scratch that - at this point I'm going to claim that this is not a toy, it's a real musical instrument...it's a Cajon, to be precise.

The Cajon is an ingenious device.  I will try to explain how it works, although it's complicated, so please bear with me - I'll try not to use too much technical jargon, ok?

Ok, in order to play the Cajon, you have to carefully adhere to the following two stage process...(note that bypassing either stage will lead to the process failing in its entirety):

Step 1 - get a box.
Step 2 - hit the box.

Did you follow that?  I know, it's confusing, let me tell you another way...oh no, there isn't another way - just get a box, and hit it.

I looked up the word cajon, as I was concerned with its similarity to the word cojones...

Turns out cajon means box...should've probably guessed that! 

Anyway, the Cajon can provide rhythmic accompaniment to any musical endeavour, used tastefully...a common approach is to simulate a drum kit, with a kick drum sound, a snare sound, and a high slap or crack for embellishment.

Here's a brief sample from my first attempts to do something musical with it this evening, to give you an idea... 

(Note that if you listen to it on a smartphone or iPad type device, it will sound tinny and rubbish, and you probably won't be able to discern the different sounds clearly...that's my excuse anyway!)




Did you spot Jazz voting with his feet?

Hmph...after he woke me up a couple of times in the night too! Lil' bugger...

I plan to use this with my looper to provide rhythmic, drum kit style backing to live loops, in my studio as a percussion instrument on other recordings, and as a mainstay of the cooperative musical evenings I'm still planning on arranging(!)

Also, I shall play it just for fun, because, you know...it's fun!

B-)

No comments:

Post a Comment