In which I take a photo every day that I'm 50, and post it here on this blog, with a bit of related blurb.

Tuesday 20 May 2014

Day 157 - Going Forwards?!

in bloom

Both the (mad) cow parsley and the hawthorne hedgerow that borders our garden are now in full, white bloom.

Our garden is by no means all neatly kempt, but it does have a magnificent wildness about it. 

At this time of year, everything is in the middle of the years major growth surge...I think we all take advantage of the increased light and warmth, and use our renewed optimism for new life and new beginnings to motivate ourselves onwards and upwards.

I was going to say motivate ourselves forwards, but there really is no other option, is there?

The phrase going forwards (implicitly, in time) really pokes my pedantry button (and you know how sensitive that can be...).  It's an entirely redundant clause - is there an alternative direction through time in which to travel?!  I think not... 

Anyway (back off topic), despite being off work, I've been super busy...I was up until 4am this morning configuring laptops, and then up at 9 hoovering, cleaning, mowing, washing and shopping...all of which were aimed at trying to free up some time to edit my 50@50 video.  

To be honest I've been avoiding it a bit, as I seem to be missing my muse...(must be Anna!)  

I can't quite get a creative flow going, and the ideas I do have are frustrated by my distinct lack of skill at video editing.   I'm using a software package I've not used before, and I'm only just beginning to get to grips with it, which doesn't help either. 

You'd be amazed at how the smallest things can get in the way for days...for example, I need to have text on the screen at various times - titles, credits, various on screen info...

I have to decide which font to use...and what size should it be?

Which colour works best, and how should it appear on the screen?

Should it fade in, or slide in from the side, or scroll down from the top?

Whereabouts on the screen should it be, and for how long?

These questions can rattle around for ages not getting resolved, and they absolutely impede the editing process...

Anyhow I eventually settled on a working example of font, style and whatnot, which probably isn't what I want, but is probably what I'll end up with...just need to manage those expectations...

;-)

I have mixed down one scene, comprised of the first 5 climbs...it's 10 minutes long and fairly dull!  I think I need to get ruthless with my editing...take a scalpel (nay, a machete) to that thing...

I also have the wrong music on it...I mean, it's some music that's available for use, it just doesn't quite fit the mood of the day.

And how on earth do you go about finding some available music that just exactly fits the highly nuanced atmosphere of a specific day?!

Well, I may think about writing some...with my ill-gotten gains from PC shenanigans, I've treated myself to a piece of musical technology that I've been itching to try for ages...I'm hoping it's going to open up a whole new world of music making possibilities for me...

Watch this space...

B-)

No comments:

Post a Comment