In which I take a photo every day that I'm 50, and post it here on this blog, with a bit of related blurb.

Thursday 20 March 2014

Day 96 - Fingerboard, Make Strong

maker of beasts

I'm quite into climbing...did I ever mention that?

As the year progresses, this is going to lead to some brilliant photo opportunities.

One of the most rewarding aspects of rock climbing is that it takes you to some amazing places where you'd never otherwise go...and once at these amazing places, it opens up incredible perspectives which you'd never otherwise experience. 

Imagine sitting on a ledge, 25m up a sheer rock face that juts out of the top of a hill, overlooking a green valley below.   There's something about all that space that opens the mind and feeds the spirit.  It's breathtaking, and you can't experience it without taking some risks and expending some significant physical energy.  

But the relatively high price, paid in commitment, determination and strenuous exertion, simply serves to make the moment more valuable.  

Over the last year, I've sat in such positions with a raven hovering in the breeze a few feet over my head.  

I've looked down on hunting hawks and kestrels, and even the Red Arrows...Anna even had the dubious excitement of being buzzed by a Red Arrow, which banked across the rock face no more than 30m away from her, as it flashed by in a cacophony of screaming jet engine - just as she was in the middle of a sketchy Trad lead!

It's not just the view, either.  I've squeezed through a hole in a pile of boulders, which the guidebook assures me is passable, whilst wondering nervously whether it's still passable with big shoulders, inflexible hips, and around half a ton (give or take) of climbing gear strapped around my waist...

Anna was caught in a deluge when about to attempt a tricky, committing crux move (i.e. the hard bit), forcing her to undertake a nerve wracking (but ultimately brilliant) down-climb in the pouring rain.

I found myself thrutching (also known as udging (or did I just make that up?!)) my way up inside a wide, dark, dank chimney of rock, painfully jammed against opposite sides, nothing to stand on, desperately tired, and having no choice but to push on upwards.  The down-climb seemed impossible, so wasn't an option...there was no possibility of putting any protection in to catch me if I fell, or even to rest on...I knew that if I fell, I was going to fall a long way, hit the rock hard, tumble and probably break something.  Not only that, but Anna would be yanked up into the air and into the rock.   My only option was to keep inching upwards towards a hole in the roof, through which the bright daylight promised relief and salvation, albeit seemingly distant relief and salvation. 

I guess that doesn't sound like such a great time...but it has fantastic Type 2 Fun value. 

(TL;DR - Type 2 Fun - not fun at the time, but fun to reflect on and talk about afterwards...)

So I guess you're wondering what any of this has to do with the photo.  Well, the point is, all of that good stuff lies ahead of us, once the weather improves. 

In the meantime, all I've got is this crappy photo of our Beastmaker finger-board...

We have this mounted above the door in the lounge (I know, nice touch, huh?).   It's for exercising the fingers.  The various slots take two, three or four fingers, to a variety of depths (primarily one or two finger joints), and the idea is to simply hang off them, to develop finger strength for climbing.  

There are a whole load of exercise regimes that can be performed with them...but we just do pull ups on them now and then when we remember or can be bothered.  I suppose we're not that committed...but the intent is there!

Anyway (in theory), we use this exercise tool in order to be strong enough to go out and get into desperate situations, which would be much less stressful if we were just a bit stronger...

Hmm, I think I just blew my own mind!!

Fingerboard, make strong!  Yet still too weak, so get in adventures!

I'm sure there's a nugget of sense in there somewhere, but it's a bit fuzzy and elusive.

Ho hum...

Oh, wait a minute, perhaps there isn't a nugget of sense in there somewhere...

B-)

No comments:

Post a Comment