In which I take a photo every day that I'm 50, and post it here on this blog, with a bit of related blurb.

Wednesday 26 March 2014

Day 102 - The Early Worm

gets eaten

I must apologise for the quality of the photo today...it was a quick shot taken at 7am this morning, with my phone, through the lounge window.

Although you can't see the bird from where you're sitting, in RealLife (tm) I could see that it was a beautiful Song Thrush, wrestling with a large, pale earthworm.  

How clichéd of it - I mean, I know it's a cute saying and all, but does it really want to encourage such specist(?!) stereotypes?

In any case, if the early bird gets the worm, then isn't it also true that the early worm gets brutally murdered and devoured, and not necessarily in that order...?  Why did you automatically side with the bird in that analogy?!!  

Who looks out for the worms, huh, did you ever think of that?!

Anyway, as it happened, I didn't have the camera handy, and I was wary of scaring the thrush off if I got up to go look for it, so I just grabbed some quick snaps on my trusty SGS3.

Worm sympathy aside, I'm so glad the thrush is here still, his (hers? Difficult to tell, let's go with his...) song on warm summer evenings is an absolute joy to behold.

In order to distribute his song as widely as possible, he usually picks a high vantage point for the evening's performance.  As we don't have tall trees in our garden, he'll happily sit on the highest available local perch, which is often in a low tree or high hedgerow. 

This means that we have a front row seat as he sings, and as they're not the most skittish of our local birds (that would be the jackdaw, I reckon), he seems to feel quite safe there...the music can be mesmerising!

Anyway, I will endeavour to broaden my subject matter for these photo's...but it's not easy, and I'm very busy all day, and I've got this lurgy (although I have antibiotics since visiting the doc's earlier), and there don't seem to be many photo opportunities except these!

I'm not complaining, mind...if the point is that I spent much of my time in nice, natural, green environments, amongst the flora and fauna, then oh, woe is me, how did life get so hard?!

How well does sarcasm work on here?  Because that was sarcasm...we're clear on that, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment