In which I take a photo every day that I'm 50, and post it here on this blog, with a bit of related blurb.

Monday 10 February 2014

Day 58 - Bum Notes


rock the room


Today is the greatest day I've ever known.

That's a fairly bold statement to open with, isn't it?  To be fair, it's not my line, but the opening line of Today by The Smashing Pumpkins.

Anna was up to something in the lounge to which I'm not privy, so I took the opportunity to put my Rock Band Xbox back together upstairs, and have a bit of a play on the drums.  

The way it works is that you choose a song to play along with, and a difficulty level, and then play along with the song, following on-screen prompts.  I only play drums with this game, because it is very much like actually playing the drums.  

A scrolling display on the screen tells you which drums to hit, and when.   Mostly what it tells you to play is very simplified, to make the game accessible.    But you can choose Expert Pro Mode, in which case you have to play pretty much everything the original drummer did on the track in question. 

I only play Expert Pro Mode...  B-)

The drum kit and Xbox haven't been used for a couple of months, as it all needed wiring up after some reorganisation of the Rock Room...

Climbing gear, guitars and drum kits...do you see what we did there?!  ;-)

Having set the kit up and got all the various parts talking to each other, I decided to test it on Today, a song I know fairly well.  

First thing I've played in months....gold starred it!   To get a gold star you have to play it almost perfectly, hitting every note on every drum in perfect time with the track.  

I so wanted to say "Nailed it!" in the style of Archer, but in truth I didn't nail it.   I did hit more than 99% of the notes, but in musical terms that basically means I also hit a bunch of bum notes...amateurish!

Today is moderate difficulty level, so not too challenging...but I was pleased to play reasonably well on my first track in a while. 

And I like the sentiment!

Today is a great day, because it's the only day.   Yesterday is long gone and Tomorrow will never arrive.  There is only Today...

Spend too much time dwelling on the past, or eagerly awaiting some imagined future, and you're missing Now, which is the only time it's possible to live.  

Now is literally your only option...  

Why are you still here, you should be off living your life...   

Today is the greatest day you'll ever know!

No comments:

Post a Comment