In which I take a photo every day that I'm 50, and post it here on this blog, with a bit of related blurb.

Wednesday 5 February 2014

Day 52 - It May Be Winter Outside

but in my heart, it's Spring

Unusually, I just happened to have a few spare seconds of head space around lunchtime today.   In a rare auspicious moment, I also happened to notice that the sun was shining, and this sparked my mind on to the need for a daily blog photo. 

On the way into work this morning, the weather was clear and bright, and the roads busy.

Progress was slow...

But this provided a welcome opportunity to have a bit of a gander at the woods along the way - I'm always curious to see what signs of life might be evident.

Sure enough, I saw a few little pools of snowdrops, almost shining on the otherwise misty, brown floor from which they sprouted.   A pang of regret prodded gently at me...already late for work, and in a traffic jam with nowhere to stop, the apparent opportunity to catch a photo was an apparition.

So when I noticed that the sun was out at lunchtime, I quickly realised that I might find snowdrops in the church garden 150 yards down the road.

Typically, the sun went in as I approached, and with the sky greying, I feared the chance had passed. 

Then I walked into the graveyard, the sun came out, and there were crocuses (croci to ecologists, Romans and pedants) everywhere!

To be fair, there were also snowdrops, but the croci were clearly more photogenic.

I liked this photo, even though I couldn't see to take it, in the bright sunlight...it was something of a lucky (albeit calculated) guess.

Flowers on a grave are a significant cliché, of course.   But cliché are generally cliché because they contain elements of truth, and this is no exception.

New life emerging amongst the barren headstones in bright, propitious Spring sunlight...it's timeless imagery, isn't it?

Pondering this, I've only just realised how this 5 minute photography session helped cement a positive, optimistic tone for the rest of the day... 

It's been a good day!

Thanks, flowers!

:-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment