In which I take a photo every day that I'm 50, and post it here on this blog, with a bit of related blurb.

Thursday 6 February 2014

Day 54 - My Big Year of Adventure

by Tony, aged 50


I had the day off today, so obviously I spent most of the morning working!   What's happened to me?!  Where did it all go wrong?

Anyway I then spent the rest of the day catching up on 50th Bucket List challenges that I'm in danger of falling behind on (blog entries, thank you mails, presents and the like), and doing various chores at home. 

It's been a productive day!

The most exciting of the chores was to plan My Big Year of Adventure (by Tony, aged 50).

I wanted to map out the year and try to to work out when I could fit in my various trips, challenges and associated adventures.  

Earlier in the afternoon I'd spent some time framing some large photo's I had printed, that I'd taken on climbing adventures last year.   Mum had given me the frame for my birthday, wrapped in thick red paper.

I found a black felt tip pen, turned the paper over, and started to map out the months from March to October, when the vast majority of my challenges will have to be undertaken.  

Anna and I then spent an hour filling a left column with set dates, a middle column of provisional or approximate intended dates, and a right column of Challenges to be ticked off.

Having initially planned to transfer it to computer and then throw it away, Anna suggested putting it on the wall up in the Rock Room (where we keep both the drum kit, and all our climbing gear)...I took it a step further and stuck it to the door in the lounge.  

Of course, then we had to mark our heights on it (have you noticed how tiny Anna is?).

The potential for updating it as we go seems like fun, so it's now there for the duration, as a constant reminder of not only the individual challenges themselves, but the over-riding challenge of doing all this in a year. 

So, without further ado (there's been far too much of that already), here's an overview of my impending year...

March

The year opens with a trip to Spain.  More specifically, the Costa Blanca, in the first week of March, for some sport climbing.  We will follow this up with opening our gritstone Trad climbing account for the season, with a trip or two up to the Peak District (weather permitting).

Challenges to be undertaken:

  • Cleanly lead a sport climb of grade f6a or above.
  • Climb a long, multi pitch route in the mountains.
April

Lots of climbing in the Peak, with the prime target of the month being the 50@50 challenge, the idea that sparked this whole thing in the first place.   Several minor climbing challenges could also be attempted.

Challenges to be undertaken:

  • 50@50 - 50 climbs in a day, at age 50.
  • Cleanly lead a Trad route at grade E1.
  • Cleanly lead Tody's Wall at Froggatt Edge.
  • Cleanly lead Three Pebble Slab at Froggatt Edge.
  • Cleanly lead Strapiombante at Froggatt Edge.
May

For the first couple of weeks, taking any chance to progress the above climbing challenges in the Peak, then off to Florida for a family holiday.

Challenges to be undertaken:

  • Climb Gargoyle Flake at Bamford Edge.
  • Get the classic Gargoyle Flake photo.
  • Swim with dolphins.
June

Spending the first 3 weeks of June at home with the animals, whilst ticking off a few challenges I can do from home.   Then off to the Lake District for a long weekend of adventuring.

Challenges to be undertaken:

  • Climb a tall tree.
  • Learn to slackline (similar to a tightrope except, ya know, slack).
  • Go skateboarding.
  • Ride a horse to at least a canter (and preferably a gallop).
  • Climb a long, multi-pitch mountain route in the traditional style.
  • Cleanly climb a bouldering problem at grade V4.
July

More time at home, with possibly a trip or two to the Peak to tick off a couple of routes.   Potentially a day kayaking in the Wye Valley, followed by a trip to Amsterdam late in the month...

Challenges to be undertaken:

  • Climb Suicide Wall at Cratcliffe Tor.
  • Climb Valkyrie at The Roaches.
  • Go kayaking.
August

August will mark the commencement of our preparations for bouldering in Fontainebleau.   But I'll also be spending a day driving single seater race cars at Silverstone.  We'll also set off for a series of adventures on the Gower Peninsula.

Challenges to be undertaken:
  • Drive a single seat race car.
  • Sleep in a tent.
  • Go surfing.
  • Rock climb at night
September

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!  We're going to Fontainebleau!  I'm already excited about it, I don't know if you've noticed?   What more needs to be said?

Challenges to be undertaken:
  • Go to Font.
  • Cleanly climb a problem graded at font 6A.
October

Finally, winding the year down with a trip to Mallorca with my bro', where I hope to visit an iconic climb, and get a photo of me on it, as if I'm in any way qualified to be on such a world class route!

Challenges to be completed:
  • Get a photo on Es Pontas.

Oh wow, what a brilliant year we're going to have!

Wish me luck!  B-)

No comments:

Post a Comment