In which I take a photo every day that I'm 50, and post it here on this blog, with a bit of related blurb.

Saturday 1 February 2014

Day 49 - Extra Large

speed skating

So I bought these Kooga base-layers from SportPursuit.  

Since living out here in the countryside, in a cold house with inadequate heating, I've been on a hunt for warm clothes.   

I spent several years stubbornly sticking with natural fibres, which were comfortable, but not really all that warm.  They were heavy too, which I quite liked at the time.

Then we started climbing outdoors, and became increasingly interested in outdoor clothes.  If you look at the prices of high quality modern outdoor clothing, it's very expensive.   But it turns out there are always sales going on, of old stock, or end of line stock, or non-average sizes, at large discounts.  

We now have a pretty good collection of decent gear, and thus a lot of layering options.

Layering is a key strategy in keeping warm.   You have base layers, mid layers and shells, to put it simply.  You have each of these in a variety of weights, and can thus dress specifically for the anticipated conditions, with a good deal of flexibility to adjust as you cool or heat. 

I've recently discovered compression base-layers, which use modern, technical materials to create tight, flexible, warm, supportive tops in which you can be active and comfortable in a range of conditions.  

Apparently, Kooga make high performance base layers for elite professional rugby players.   I saw some on sale for £10 so grabbed one in an XL (my usual size).    I was slightly concerned that whilst my shoulders are fairly broad, I'm in no way stocky like a pro rugby player...surely their Extra Large would be huge?

The top duly arrived this morning, so I tried it on...I can't believe how small it is!  

The material is soft, strong, and has some limited flexibility.    The arms are about the right length, and the body is just long enough. 

But I have to virtually dislocate my shoulders to get it over them!  And it took me several goes to eventually manage to take it off on my own, and then it took a couple of minutes.  

I really don't understand.  Also, the hood only just reaches over half of my head...it's not even practically useful as a hood.

It's not all bad though.  It's very warm, very comfortable and very supportive...and it makes Anna giggle hysterically...I'm not sure why...hmm

Anyway we tried to get some photo's of the farcical process of me contorting myself into it, but Anna (expert photographer that she is), forgot to check whether the photo's were lit well enough...

So this poor one of me speed skating (which Anna tells me I'm dressed for) was the best of a bad bunch, and is going to have to do.

Which saves you the embarrassment of seeing my pale, bare body...you're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment