In which I take a photo every day that I'm 50, and post it here on this blog, with a bit of related blurb.

Wednesday 5 February 2014

Day 53 - Self Fulfilled Prophecy

no ravens

Curious mix of failure and success with today's photo...

The weather today has been wild, windy and wet, and possibly some other things beginning with "w".   I arrived home early after an off-site meeting, aware that I had no photo and no idea how to solve that particular problem for the 53rd time in 53 days...

As I got to our back door, I noticed that the light was really lovely - colours were vibrant, with a hint of golden glow in the air.   We get this light here now and then, on summer evenings, or grey days like today where a low sun breaks through to illuminate the gloom...it's really beautiful.  

I wondered, somewhat hopelessly, whether I would be able to capture the light on a photo, so hurriedly took 3 photos, with no confidence that I'd end up using them.

My gut was right, and I didn't manage to catch the diffuse, warm feeling - although the grass has a hint of the vibrancy that stood out so at the time...but I liked the framing of this image, and the trees opposite are gorgeous.   

I hope to get better pictures of them later in the year - they often look spectacular in the evening sunset.  

Also, they're favourite haunts of all of our local corvids (raven, crow, rook, jackdaw and magpie), and I get a good silhouette of the trees and birds, from the vantage point of my chair in the lounge.

Especially the ravens, of course...they're so obviously huge when we see them all the time. 

(you gnaw nuthin', Anna Swift...) ;-)

This shot is standing at our back door looking away from the house.   But of course we have different viewpoints to the same trees - the lounge, the top of the stairs, two of the bedrooms...I feel immensely fortunate to have such a beautiful view in my vision several times a day, in its diverse range of seasonal flavours.

However, in my doubt, I forgot to enable HDR mode on my camera, so the sky is too bright with no real detail...there's a lesson there - don't prejudge your work...wait until you've actually made a mess of it before declaring it a mess!  

No, but seriously, it might not be a mess - don't prejudge and then self-fulfil that little prophecy.

Whilst I'm a little disappointed that I didn't take this photo more seriously at the time, and so didn't set the camera up correctly, I'm pleased that I got a picture that has some merit, if only to me.

Most importantly, I've learned from it, which is a key element of most worthwhile endeavours...

One step forward, and all that...

No comments:

Post a Comment