In which I take a photo every day that I'm 50, and post it here on this blog, with a bit of related blurb.

Saturday 18 January 2014

Day 35 - Fifty, Going On Fifteen

The beach!

I was like a child in a sweet shop.  Jezz and I were on our way to climb at Calshot, which is a sports centre on a spit of land on the South coast, directly across from the Isle of Wight.

As you approach, the roads get narrower and quieter, and eventually you find yourself driving along a small track on the land side of dozens of brightly coloured beach huts.

I'd thought about the fact that I'd be by the sea.  But with Cowes just opposite, you can't really see the open sea, and I wasn't convinced that the view wouldn't be a little greyer and more bleak than I'd prefer.

In any case, I was looking for photo opps, so when I saw all the huts I asked Jezz to pull over.  I hopped out and made my way between the huts to the sea-side. 

Suddenly, I was on the beach, and felt an immediate, childish delight at the pebbles, and the waves, and the spray.  

"I'm on the beach!", I cried, much to Jezz's bemusement.   He'd forgotten that I rarely see the sea.  For some reason it had taken me completely by surprise, and I found myself poking about amongst the pebbles and having to resist the urge to splash in the foam.

Anna has been telling me about this amazing starling that learned to speak English, to some degree, and reputedly could construct original phrases.   Whenever we see one, I wonder whether it needs looking after - I couldn't bring myself to catch one otherwise.

Consequently, upon finding a complete cuttlefish bone, I wished we had a pet bird to take it home to. 

I took a few snaps, trying to capture the feel, and then wandered happily off for a climb. 

For the whole of the 45 minute drive we'd been nattering and catching up, and I'd been outlining some of my musical plans.   So when we got into the climbing centre, I was mentally completely unprepared.   

Again, I found I was surprised and filled once more with childish excitement...yay climbing!

All this, and we hadn't even got as far computer games!

Anyway we haven't had one of these for a while, so here goes:

Today I Learned; despite being 50, it's still fun to embrace my inner 15 year old

Note to self...act like a kid again more often...

No comments:

Post a Comment