In which I take a photo every day that I'm 50, and post it here on this blog, with a bit of related blurb.

Tuesday 24 June 2014

Day 191 - Half a Tick

one word from me...

Apparently, 'tis the season of the half-ticked challenge...

Having been up early this morning to start packing before breakfast, we were loaded up and ready to leave the yurt by around 10.30.   Our horse ride on the beach was booked for 12.30, so we spent a couple of hours exploring the back roads along the coast, and hanging out at the beach.

Our trek consisted of a half hour walk to the beach, followed by a half hour or so trotting up and down, and a walk and trot back...

They allowed me to attempt to get my horse, Nelson, into canter...although not without first telling me that he's really hard to get going - unless you're a really good rider.

Although I'd passed their little riding test in the ring before we went out, I hadn't ridden for 15 years or more before today, so I was a little rusty, to say the least.

Nelson, as well as being barely big enough for someone of my size, was as advertised...pretty lazy, and almost impossible to cajole any energy out of.  He really had my measure - I couldn't remember the nuance of getting a horse into canter, and have since realised I was giving him quite a few mixed messages.   He had clearly decided that unless I gave him very precise, clear and specific instructions, in all the right ways, he was just going to resist.

(somewhat prophetically, the only climb I've fallen off this year was at Birchen in April, and it was called Nelson's Nemesis...which is how I felt as though Nelson viewed me).

The instructor, presumably in the name of Health and Safety gone mad, refused to give me any assistance, apparently on the basis that I was only allowed to canter if I knew how.  When I was told I had to ask Nelson more firmly to pick up the pace, and I enquired exactly how to do that, seeking a few reminders, I was told to "just generally ask him more firmly."   

Great, thanks...

So whilst it was brilliant (as we descended onto the beach I found I had a huge grin on my face), I failed to get a full tick on my challenge.  The challenge states a preference to ride the horse to gallop...I would have accepted canter, but as he wasn't having that in the only two short attempts they let me have, I can't with clear conscience claim the full tick. 

Whilst in the Lakes, then, I've got a half a tick for climb a long mountain route, half a tick for sleep in a tent, and now an additional half a tick for ride a horse to gallop...

Still, they were all great fun and I'll seek the full ticks as and when the opportunity arises!

Riding on the beach is ace, though!

Anna rode really well, for a novice...and her horse Pandora is a bit of a celebrity, featuring as she does on the opening credits of Country File!



I'm special, so special

Here's Anna riding away from me as Nelson puts in the least possible effort to keep up:



look at the arse on that

As a little bonus, perhaps to make up for the lack of cantering, the Universe offered me another great example for my dead animal collection - a lovely fresh jellyfish.


jelly, baby

After the trek we headed back to Warrington to collect Jazz, who seems to have had a brilliantly chilled few days with Cathy and Phil.  After a lovely early tea, we set off for the last long leg of the journey back to South Warwickshire. 

On the way, we took a detour to collect Loz and May-Z from the cattery before arriving home at around 9pm, incredibly weary and with a number of significant sore points setting in...that riding session is going to make itself felt over the next few days, I'm sure...

Anyway, check this further bonus photo opportunity that the Universe proffered whilst we were waiting at the cattery:


when you see it....

On first glance this may seem a fairly innocuous and perhaps confusing photo of a cat run...but look a bit closer, right in the middle of the picture...


soon...

I give you....

Cat in a Box!

Now please excuse me whilst I go collapse in an exhausted heap somewhere...

B-)

No comments:

Post a Comment