In which I take a photo every day that I'm 50, and post it here on this blog, with a bit of related blurb.

Tuesday 24 December 2013

Day 10 - Angel of Incidents

Right angel

Christmas Eve!  

I've been at work, where I was Duty Manager today (and where I'm also Incident Manager - see horrible pun in today's title..or on second thoughts, perhaps don't, it's too painful).

(You did look, didn't you?  I told you not to!!  Now I have to apologise.  I'm sorry...I'm sorry for the awful pun.  I'm sorry for all the awful puns...I'll try to suppress the urge to add a pun, however tenuous and contrived, into the title.  I'm sorry.  I really am...)

Last night there was quite a storm here (see flippant comments in yesterdays post for full appreciation of the irony of this).   Around 12.30 this morning it was blowing a gale, the house was shaking and the chimney roaring, as wind and rain lashed the house from the west.

I was just getting ready for bed (had to have an early night - Duty Manager today...you see, I am consistent with this stuff!) when I realised that above the kitchen window water was streaming in!

We realised all the windows facing west were leaking to some degree.  As we padded them out with towels, I found this paper angel, and rescued him/her from a soggy end.

My mum made this, years and years ago (maybe 20 or 30 years, I don't really have any idea).   It was in a crate for a long time, then at some point it escaped and made its home on my bedroom windowsill, facing the sunset.    It's been there so long I'd stopped noticing it.  

But it's beautiful, so I was really happy when Anna suggested bringing it downstairs.  It seems so obvious!

So now it's sitting atop the pile of presents under the tree, and very good old-fashioned Christmas-y it looks too.

Thanks Mum...

And Seasons Greetings to anyone who's still reading...may your days grow slowly brighter, as we ease away from the Winter Solstice!

1 comment:

  1. A little belated perhaps but, Season's Greetings to you and your family and friends :D

    I'm sensing a little bit of Python Monty sense of humour in this post :P

    By the way... I prefer the wrong angels ;)

    ReplyDelete