In which I take a photo every day that I'm 50, and post it here on this blog, with a bit of related blurb.

Sunday 10 August 2014

Day 239 - Dark Skies Ahead

bill's mother's

These ominous dark clouds, blocking the sun and threatening to completely overshadow us with darkness, seemed disturbingly apt today.

A couple of my nephews were involved in a horrific accident last night, which has resulted in the younger Ollie being in bandages up to his elbows on both arms, due to burns, whilst the elder Chris is unconscious in intensive care, badly burned on his head, neck and arms...

To make matters worse, they were on holiday in Mallorca...16 year old Chris has been flown to Barcelona, where he will have to remain for a couple of months, and several operations at least...

It's a terrible tragedy, and my heart is aching for Chris, Ollie, and the rest of the family who are having to deal with this nightmare...not least my bro', of course, because, you know, he's my bro'...

It's been a trying day all round...

Somehow, after all the exercise I do, I put my back out pretty badly turning over in bed in the early hours of this morning. 

It doesn't feel like a huge, long term problem, but I'm not sure...certainly today I've struggled to stand up or move around, despite all the drugs I've taken, as well as both icing and lightly exercising it.

I'm really hoping it's not going to cause problems for Fontainebleau...bad enough that it's putting a spanner in the works of my preparation programme!

Then I had to spend a supremely painful hour or so trying to get Orange to give me a PAC code so I can finally give them the boot after 18 years and 8 months of being messed around and over charged by them. 

Still, they offered me £30 to compensate...it didn't...  :-/

Also, after several hours rain, I checked the two last inspection hatches in the drainage systems (old and new) - and neither of them are moving any significant storm water...so where's it all going?!

One tiny bright spot in all of this was a flock of sparrows that were clustering in the hedgerow just outside our lounge...


pair of tits

There are 17 house sparrows in this photo, and a couple of blue tits...more sparrows were out of shot, along the new fence that just went up yesterday, for example...


spot the tree sparrow

They're mostly juveniles, I think, recent broods out and about, and finding safety in numbers. 

So it was good to see them doing well this season, even though the dark clouds were so thick as to drain all colour, barring blacks and blues, out of our day...

Please send all thoughts, vibes, prayers - whatever your preference - to young Chris and family as they face challenging times ahead...

Thinking of you, Bird...

:-(

No comments:

Post a Comment