In which I take a photo every day that I'm 50, and post it here on this blog, with a bit of related blurb.

Wednesday 23 April 2014

Day 130 - Behind the Veil

see-through when wet

I suppose it couldn't last forever.   Since late March I've been really pleased with the photo's I've gathered...the promise of Spring was reflected in the proliferation of fresh new growth green through my blog...and all riddled with a liberal sprinkling of adventure.

But the last few days the weather has turned cold and grey, I've felt tired, and all of this, too, is reflected in the dull tones of more recent pages. 

My 50@50 challenge is less than 10 days away, and whilst in some ways I feel ready, in other ways I'm starting to feel out of shape.    Since going to Spain in early March, my general activity levels have gradually dropped off, and I'm starting to feel the effects.

So I need to pick up the pace, get myself up and running for a week on Friday...perhaps I'll do a little exercise tomorrow night, then I'll need to climb this weekend.  I'd prefer to climb outdoors, but the forecast isn't good, so we may end up climbing indoors again.   Whatever, at this point I'm getting withdrawal symptoms, so bring it on!

None of which has anything to do with tonight's photo, of course...

With the forthcoming arrival of our new camera, I'm trying to practice with Anna's bridge camera more often.

Tonight, it was gone 7.30pm by the time I was ready to go looking for a photo.  When I looked outside I realised it was grey, raining, and the light was just beginning to fade. 

So I decided to play with the zoom on the camera, and try to get an interesting shot of the rainwater on the glass-topped table out on the decking.  I didn't want to get Anna's camera wet, so I wondered what sort of interesting shot I could get from the shelter of the little porch over the front door.  

It was tricky getting focussed (I really struggle to focus with the bridge camera), and challenging to remain steady enough to get a clear photo.  I took plenty of photo's, but really this is the only one with something about it at all.

It's not really focussed anywhere, although it appears to be from a distance, in the middle...but I like that you can see the rattan through the large clear puddle in the middle of the shot.  

It makes me think of a clean, structured interior, masked by a chaotic exterior.  The opposite of a swan, with its typical cool, calm serenity on the surface, masking a riot of activity below.

Kind of the opposite of lots of people, don't you think? 

I like to think that I'm more like this tabletop...getting a little rough, wrinkled and worn on the outside, but calm, peaceful and rational on the inside. 

I said I like to think that I'm like that...it's more of an aspiration!

Generally I feel as though I'm doing fairly well...but then sometimes, I wonder whether there's a difference between a tranquil, meditative inner state, and a psychologically anaesthetised coma...and would I be able to tell the difference?!  

Well, on that cheery note, I will bid you, good folks, bon soir...

I'll be back with more fun times tomorrow...

B-)

No comments:

Post a Comment