In which I take a photo every day that I'm 50, and post it here on this blog, with a bit of related blurb.

Sunday 6 April 2014

Day 113 - Risky Business

friendly neighbourhood spiderboy

We had a surprise birthday party/BBQ for Roobs, Kim's boyfriend, today at Coombe Abbey near Coventry.   

The weather was against us, but in the end it held out, only spitting with rain a little here and there.   For my part, it was a good excuse to wear a few of the outdoor clothes I've been addictively buying, or I've received as presents but not worn yet.    From this perspective it was a great success - I was warm and comfortable at all times, despite standing around on a chilly afternoon for several hours. 

I'd also taken Anna's camera, and was hoping to get some good practise in.  There was a squirrel scampering about near us, so I wandered over to a nearby vacant picnic table, and waited for a good shot.  Almost felt like a proper wildlife photographer, patiently sitting in wait...

The squirrel never came back...didn't see hide nor hair of him again!

Sigh...

Then, as I sat there experimenting, taking random shots of tree stumps, my nephew Chris ran over and pointed out that his younger sibling Ollie was up in a nearby tree.   Ollie had bravely walked along a low, dead branch, with nothing for hands but small branches hanging down from above.

As I focussed in on the scene, I saw that Jools was remonstrating with Ollie to get down, so time was of the essence!

Luckily, I already had the zoom lens on, so I quickly framed him before he climbed out of sight, and grabbed a couple of shots... 

I was strongly tempted to join Ollie and a couple of others who'd climbed the tree - it is on my challenge list after all!   However I had big walking boots on, which didn't seem entirely appropriate, and I figured that falling out of a tree in front of several generations of extended family might not be the best example to set... 

In some ways, it might be a great, if controversial example to set - if I had fun and didn't hurt myself.   If I slipped due to it being a green, greasy tree, or because of the inadequate feel or grip from big clumpy boots, it may set entirely the wrong example.

In any case, it seemed sensible not to try it today...although on one level I'm annoyed with myself for missing an opportunity. 

I was super-impressed with the kids though, especially Ollie, Tembie and Marnie.

I know Tembie and Marnie have done a variety of high rope and similar assault courses, and they seem to have no fear.  I love their adventurous spirits, and their casual confidence in their own abilities.  I must make a plan to take them climbing - at least half the battle in climbing is having the confidence to get on and do it and these three really seem to have what it takes.

So many people these days live under a black cloud of fear and insecurity, apparently unable to distinguish between perceived and actual risk, and thus missing out on invigorating experiences because they're too afraid to do anything out of the ordinary. 

I find it refreshing, then, to see these kids apparently managing risk very well.  Rather than using perceived risk as an excuse to never try anything, they use actual risk (albeit their perception of it (I know, this is beginning to boggle the mind!)) as justification for doing whatever they feel capable of doing.  And as they are comfortable with the risk, and confident of the outcome, they are much more relaxed, which means that they are much less likely to get hurt. 

Wins all around, it seems to me...

Go, kids!

B-)

1 comment:

  1. Hey, cool pic. I wasn't telling him to come down, just questioning his choice anchor ! the thin branch he was holding on to would have just gone with him if he had started to go. Shame you missed getting a pic of Marney who made it about 3/4 of the way up this REALLY big tree - v scary to watch but as you say, she had the risk sussed and the right attitude towards altitude.

    ReplyDelete