In which I take a photo every day that I'm 50, and post it here on this blog, with a bit of related blurb.

Wednesday 16 April 2014

Day 123 - Lambnapping

snack machines

Well, we have a slightly disappointing photo of the day scenario today.   

This evening, we decided that Jazz is too lame to walk all the way up into the woods.  So after talking him for a more level and gentle walk down the lane, we wandered up there on our own, feeling a little like we were betraying him somehow.

We dismantled the camera trap, and ummed and aahed for a bit.   After much deliberation, we put it back exactly where it was - although now in video (rather than camera) mode!

Does our wild creativity know no bounds?!  ;-)

Once home, we excitedly put the memory card into the PC...and found it to have taken precisely no photo's whatsoever...dagnabbit!

I suppose the camera software may have bugged out in some way...but it's probably more likely that I didn't switch it on properly...it's a sliding switch that has off at one end, on at the other, and setup in the middle.  Once you've strapped it to a tree or whatever, you have to open the front, feel inside for the switch, and flick it all the way to the top.

You can never see what you're doing, and you can't tell by feel what it's currently set to, other by switching it back and forth.  But given it takes a few seconds to boot up or shut down, it's not a good idea to mess with it too much. 

I've worried once or twice in the past about whether or not I'd switched it on properly - the process doesn't inspire me with confidence...I'm never sure that it's on when I leave it. 

Anyway, it seems as though last night, my doubts were well founded...sorry about that.

Fortunately (or not, depends upon your perspective), as we walked down the lane with Jazz, I stopped to take a couple of snaps of the sheep with their lambs, in the field opposite our house.  I know it's not the most exciting photo ever, but you know, cute lambs, yay!

There are actually four sheep and six lambs in this shot.   I don't know why these few have been separated from the main flock, in this little corner field, but they all seem happy enough. 

The other day, as we were passing, we saw that one lamb had somehow got separated from his mum, with a fence between them.  They were both clearly concerned, and the lamb was obviously hungry.

Of course, Anna lost no time getting involved, and quickly nipped in there to help out. 

If you look carefully at this photo, you can see Anna taunting the mother with her lamb:


indecision

She is a bit mean like that...but in fairness, she did eventually relent, and give the lamb back.

I think the sheep dodged a bullet there...it was touch and go whether Anna would relinquish the lamb once she'd got her hands on him.  

I was starting to get excited about the possibility of some solid assistance with the lawns, and Jazz was already drooling at the prospect of fresh sheep poo, delivered daily to our garden...he does love his sheep poo!

I guess it was kind of a shame that Anna gave him back, really...

Anyway, this blog post turned out ok in the end too, didn't it?  I mean, I know it's not going to set the blogosphere on fire, sure...but it's not a total disaster.

It's got kidnapping and everything!  Or would that be more specific to goats?  

Lambnapping?

No comments:

Post a Comment