In which I take a photo every day that I'm 50, and post it here on this blog, with a bit of related blurb.

Sunday 20 April 2014

Day 127 - Day of the Living Dead

egg-cessive

Easter...what's that about then?!

I grew up in a church going, Christian family.  At least, my mum was devout, and the rest of us went along, for one reason or another, at one time or another.

Personally, I felt neither the presence of God, nor the need to feel the presence of God...(I've felt otherwise since, but not in a way related to Christianity, or any other religion)

The point is, whilst I remember an incident of brutal, public torture and execution, and then a later resurrection (nowadays known as zombification, I believe), I don't recall anything about eggs, chocolate, rabbits, or gifts.

Full disclosure - I haven't read the whole Bible, (or virtually any of it, to be honest).

But I'd be willing to put cold hard cashola that were I to, I still wouldn't come across the bit about the Easter Bunny handing out chocolate eggs...and how did rabbits and eggs get mixed up together anyway?!  

Sounds like some Frankensteinian nightmare to me! 

The photo shows our little haul of chocolate and other goodies.  This is just for the two of us!  Clearly the themes of eggs, rabbits and chocolates (not to mention diabetes) run right through them.  

I haven't noticed any crosses, or other references to pain or execution.  But then there's no mention of last suppers, nor of sin, death or rebirth either. 

So we're going short on the resurrection thing, but we're going long on the cute bunnies and yummy chocolate side of the story, are we?? mm-kay. 

Try as I might, I can't quite work out what the message is supposed to be here.  There might be something vague about new life and the hope it brings...or am I just imagining that because, you know, eggs! 

Whilst the chocolate is indeed yummy, and I very much appreciate those who chose to include me in their Easter in this way, it does make me wonder what we, as a society, are trying to teach our children...it seems to me we're simply teaching them to be good little consumers.   

So now Christmas is no longer about Jesus, but instead, it's all about a fat, jolly, wealthy white man in a red suit, judging whether children have conformed acceptably, and are therefore worthy of a gift...

Easter is no longer about Jesus, but about a giant Easter Bunny that hands out chocolate eggs for no obvious reason...

Of course we all know there isn't really an Easter Bunny, nor a Santa Claus - and that we have to actually buy all of these chocolate eggs and Xmas presents ourselves...so why do we go along with it?

A significant number of those reading this may well concur with the sentiment I'm expressing here...yet still, we go along with it.

Those marketing boys have got us just where they want us...

Right, I mustn't get carried away...and besides I've got to get on - all these chocolate eggs aren't going to eat themselves!

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment