In which I take a photo every day that I'm 50, and post it here on this blog, with a bit of related blurb.

Saturday 6 December 2014

Day 357 - Magnum

the elusive mr jackdaw

This week I'm doing my short Friday night post on Saturday...hey, I can have one easy post a week, can't I?

We're off out to our first Christmas Do of the season this evening, at some swanky place in Leicester, so I need to get a post done earlier in the day...so far, I'm well behind schedule!

Anyway, there was a heavy frost over night, and when I got up (late, yay) this morning, and took The Boy Wonder outside for his morning constitutional, the lawn was still thick with ice...

stay frosty

Whilst I was stood out there in my dressing gown (shivering a little!), two jackdaw flew over and landed in the tree next door.  Usually they're very skittish, spooking at the slightest hint of human, but I seemed to be just in the right place at the right time, with my camera in my hands, and the right lens on it!

They are always about, and often raid the bird feeders in a mob of around a dozen.  They nest in the chimneys of local cottages, using ours a couple of times in the past...not the chimneys that vent our lounge fire of course, but the unused ones at the kitchen end of the house.

We took Wonderboy over to the orchard, then up to the woods to retrieve our trailcam - he was absolutely full of beans today, and had a lovely time charging about through the long, damp grass in the thin midday sunshine.

incoming!

This photo more or less encapsulates his enthusiasm!

Also, up in the woods, he found a little mouse, fatally wounded, by the path...

deadmaus

He left it alone without needing to be told, but I suppose something will make a snack of it before long. 

We did get plenty of good video on the trailcam - muntjac deer, fox and hare, as well as the usual suspects - squirrel, pheasant, and of course, badger.

I'll put them together into a short youtube clip when I have time...

Right, best go get my glad rags on!

Toodle pip.

:-)

PS I had a complete mind blank when trying to come up with a title for this post, so I just went with the flow...

No comments:

Post a Comment